Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has described the late Olowo of Owo, Oba Folagbade Olateru-Olagbegi as a patriot and astute custodian of cultural and traditional values, whose immense contributions to the development of his domain would be greatly missed.
In a release signed by his Special Assistant (Media), Kehinde Akinyemi on Friday, Obasanjo said the death of Oba Olagbegi on Tuesday, was received, with deep regret, even as he commiserated with the Ondo State governor, the Government and good people of the state on the sorrowful demise.
Obasanjo, who is the Odofin of Owo said that “the late Olowo of Owo will be remembered as a patriot and an astute custodian of our cultural and traditional values, who gave his best while on the throne of his forefathers.
“His contributions to the political, social and economic life of Owo Kingdom in Ondo State will remain indelible in the hearts and minds of those who had interacted with him in these spheres.
“Apart from making his mark early as, and epitomising the qualities of, an eminent Legal Practitioner and Senior Advocate of Nigeria by which he has left an indelible mark on the Nigerian legal plane and the administration of justice and later as Chancellor of the University of Benin in 2005, Chancellor of the University of Abuja and until his death Chancellor of the University of Jos and former Chairman of the Ondo Council of Obas, our revered Oba brought his salutary influence to sue for peace, understanding and development in Owo community in particular and the entire Ondo State in general.”
The former President added that the late monarch, “to his family, was a tower of strength and a committed provider; to his community of Owo Kingdom, he was a model in national leadership and development; to his Yoruba kinsmen, he was a worthy Ambassador of all things noble about them; and to the rest of Nigeria, he was a symbol of a nation’s epic struggle in self-discovery and self-actualisation. It is a measure of his selfless and qualitative service to our dear country that he was honoured with the revered national award of the Commander of the Federal Republic, (CFR).
“Although Oba Folagbade Olateru-Olagbegi’s passage is like a dream, especially as he left us at a crucial stage in our nation’s history when his wise counsel and rich experience are greatly needed, I would urge the Chiefs of Owo Kingdom, the entire Owo community and all the members of his immediate and extended family to take solace in the worthy legacy and his mark on the history of this country he left behind. In fact, we ought to give gratitude to God for his worthy life,” Obasanjo was quoted as having said.
Ogun to Demolish Houses That Habour Kidnappers, Sets Up Trust Fund
Fashion Your Way To Fame With Scissor Reality Show
LAGOS FIRST LADY RAISES HOPE OF IMPROVED ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTHCARE
Emirates Aviation University introduces a special package for international students
ZENITH BANK APPOINTS HENRY OROH EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND DR. AL-MUJTABA ABUBAKAR INDEPENDENT NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Cover Of The Week
- New push for peace in Gogrial, Tonj, Wau as area governors embark on grassroots implementation activities August 23, 2019
- Tanzania: Second journalist arrested in a month must be released unconditionally August 23, 2019
- Merck Foundation in partnership with the First Lady of Malawi launches a children story to teach children and youth family values of love and respect- The Story of Limbani and Takondwa August 23, 2019
- Facebook celebrates 'Icons of Change' from across Sub-Saharan Africa with a Youth Gathering in Accra, Ghana August 23, 2019
- Assistant Foreign Minister Chen Xiaodong Meets with Charles Kayonga, Rwandan Ambassador to Leave August 23, 2019
- UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan: Localization of conflict and unaddressed community grievances serve as barriers to sustainable peace August 23, 2019
- Alternatives to Irregular Migration: International Organization for Migration (IOM) Launches Vocational Training Programme for Gambians August 23, 2019
- Innovative Inclusive Approach to Strengthen Community Cohesion in Chad August 23, 2019
- Launch of the Advancing Economic Diversification in Ethiopia Project August 23, 2019
- School closures in West and Central Africa triple since 2017, as education comes under fire across the region August 23, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized6 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others