Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has described the late Olowo of Owo, Oba Folagbade Olateru-Olagbegi as a patriot and astute custodian of cultural and traditional values, whose immense contributions to the development of his domain would be greatly missed.
In a release signed by his Special Assistant (Media), Kehinde Akinyemi on Friday, Obasanjo said the death of Oba Olagbegi on Tuesday, was received, with deep regret, even as he commiserated with the Ondo State governor, the Government and good people of the state on the sorrowful demise.
Obasanjo, who is the Odofin of Owo said that “the late Olowo of Owo will be remembered as a patriot and an astute custodian of our cultural and traditional values, who gave his best while on the throne of his forefathers.
“His contributions to the political, social and economic life of Owo Kingdom in Ondo State will remain indelible in the hearts and minds of those who had interacted with him in these spheres.
“Apart from making his mark early as, and epitomising the qualities of, an eminent Legal Practitioner and Senior Advocate of Nigeria by which he has left an indelible mark on the Nigerian legal plane and the administration of justice and later as Chancellor of the University of Benin in 2005, Chancellor of the University of Abuja and until his death Chancellor of the University of Jos and former Chairman of the Ondo Council of Obas, our revered Oba brought his salutary influence to sue for peace, understanding and development in Owo community in particular and the entire Ondo State in general.”
The former President added that the late monarch, “to his family, was a tower of strength and a committed provider; to his community of Owo Kingdom, he was a model in national leadership and development; to his Yoruba kinsmen, he was a worthy Ambassador of all things noble about them; and to the rest of Nigeria, he was a symbol of a nation’s epic struggle in self-discovery and self-actualisation. It is a measure of his selfless and qualitative service to our dear country that he was honoured with the revered national award of the Commander of the Federal Republic, (CFR).
“Although Oba Folagbade Olateru-Olagbegi’s passage is like a dream, especially as he left us at a crucial stage in our nation’s history when his wise counsel and rich experience are greatly needed, I would urge the Chiefs of Owo Kingdom, the entire Owo community and all the members of his immediate and extended family to take solace in the worthy legacy and his mark on the history of this country he left behind. In fact, we ought to give gratitude to God for his worthy life,” Obasanjo was quoted as having said.
Abel Olasunkanmi Ayen: A HONOR WELL DESERVED
Ogun: NO ETHNIC AGENDA PLEASE
“How The God of T.B. Joshua Saved me from Fatal Accident’- Engr. Akinbola Fatiregun
2019 HAJJ: 550 OGUN PILGRIMS ARRIVE SAUDI
Taye currency, Aroleowo,Lyta,Lanre Teriba,Femi solar, Others Set To Take Ibadan By Storm At Unscarred Concert
Cover Of The Week
- Sustainable Development Goal 8 (SDG8) plays pivotal role in efforts to achieve 2030 Agenda, says Chinganya July 19, 2019
- July 23 Briefing with Ambassador Tibor P. Nagy, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs and Constance Hamilton Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Africa July 19, 2019
- Security Council Press Statement on Abyei July 19, 2019
- Rugby: Zambia turns focus on Kenya meet July 19, 2019
- ENGIE and Meridiam achieve financial close for two solar photovoltaic projects in Senegal July 19, 2019
- Building Shelters for Vulnerable Displaced Persons in Burkina Faso July 19, 2019
- Merck Foundation partners with the First Lady of Malawi to build healthcare capacity and break infertility stigma in the country July 19, 2019
- 2019 OFID Annual Award for Development recognizes Vida Duti’s remarkable water and sanitation work in Ghana July 19, 2019
- The OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) launches new strategy, sets sights on sustainable growth and maximum development impact July 19, 2019
- Embiid, Bosh, Brogdon, Deng And Dieng Headline Basketball Without Borders Africa 2019 In Senegal July 19, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized5 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business3 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime3 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others