The Ogun State Governorship Election Tribunal sitting in Abeokuta on Friday struck out the petition by the Labour Party challenging the victory of Governor Dapo Abiodun.
The Labour party had gone to the tribunal to challenge the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for alleged unlawful exclusion of the Party’s candidate from contesting during the last Governorship election in the State.
The tribunal also awarded a Five Hundred Thousand Naira compensatory fine against the Labour Party, to be paid to Governor Abiodun. The tribunal predicated its judgement on the absence of the petitioner in court and neither was it represented by any counsel.
Reacting to the news, the State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, declared that “the people spoke with their votes on March 9 and today the Tribunal confirmed it. That is democracy at work. So, I believe that puts an end to the petition and we pray that petition will rest in perfect peace.
“Now, we expect all political parties and other purpose-driven stakeholders to join hands with us to build our future together. “
Speaking with newsmen after the judgement, Prof Taiwo Osipitan, SAN, the lead counsel to Governor Dapo Abiodun, said the petitioner had based “their argument for nonappearance on a letter written to the Court of Appeal asking for the case to be transferred which was rejected by the Tribunal.”
Osipitan had prayed the court to dismiss the petition due to the absence of the petitioner as enshrined in the nation’s law that when a petitioner and its counsel failed to appear in court, such a petition should be dismissed, which was later agreed upon by the tribunal
Said he: “We joined issues with them that they have no candidates so to say or that the nominations of the candidate were not lawful and therefore INEC was right in not listing their candidateas for the election. But, after we had filed all our papers, today (Friday) was fixed for the hearing, for the case to commence. Neither the petitioner, that is, the candidate of the Party, nor their counsel was in court.
“They predicated their absence on a letter they wrote to the president of the court of appeal, asking for the case to be transferred. We felt that is not a reason why they should not be in court at all, that even if they have any issues, they should come to court and say it out loud and clear.
“At any rate, we looked at the provisions of the law that say that when a case is fixed for hearing and the petitioner is not in court, then we as respondents are entitled to judgement dismissing the case and once it is dismissed, there is no room for it to be re-listed.
“So we invoked that provision and applied to the tribunal that the petition be dismissed for want of diligent persecution because they were absent in court.”
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor.
I visit my town regularly, media report suggesting otherwise is misleading – Boroffice
OGUN GOVT TO PARTNER CHINESE COMPANY IN REPOSITIONING AGRICULTURE – ABIODUN
Abuja Aglow as World Presidents, Dignitaries, Celebrities set for Africa’s Biggest Event -#theUBAMarketplace2019
Access Bank UK Balance Sheet up 36% as Polo Day Pledges N350m for Children in Education
Fasoranti’s Daughter : The greatest danger to Nigeria are not the Fulani terrorists but treacherous Yoruba slaves- Femi-Fani Kayode Blasts Tinubu
Cover Of The Week
- World Health Organization (WHO) scales up activities in Burkina Faso in response to worsening humanitarian situation July 15, 2019
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Ministry of Higher Education, American University in Cairo (AUC) Inaugurate Centers for Career Development at Zagazig University July 15, 2019
- Voluntary National Reviews (VNR) lab reviews progress towards sustainable development goals July 15, 2019
- Fly, Stay, Earn - Marriott International And Emirates Strengthen Partnership With Relaunch Of Your World Rewards July 15, 2019
- July 17 Briefing on West Africa ― Public Health after the 2014-2016 Ebola Outbreak, with U.S. CDC's Center for Global Health Director Dr. Rebecca Martin July 15, 2019
- Canon Discovery Week continues in Nairobi, with in-store discounts throughout July to further develop relationship with customers July 15, 2019
- Moving the 2019 Total Africa Cup of Nations July 15, 2019
- Global Premium Smartphone TECNO Wins Africa Information Technology & Telecoms Awards (AITTA)Phone of the Year 2019 July 15, 2019
- Communities urged to support survivors of sexual violence rather than blaming and shaming them (by Filip Andersson) July 15, 2019
- IOM Outraged By Somalia Terrorist Attack July 15, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized5 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business2 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime3 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others