Due to a lack of quality control and poor packaging, hundreds of containers loaded with ‘Made in Nigeria’ products are being rejected in the international market and are returned home, the Nigerian Shippers Council has said.
According to the North-West zonal coordinator of the council, Karimatu Uthman, this and many similar unfortunate developments have prompted the council to embark on massive campaigns on quality control and excellent packaging that will attract international markets to the Made in Nigeria products.
Mrs. Uthman spoke at a one day workshop organized by her office in Kano, Wednesday.
She noted that over the years, the Nigerian Shippers Council, North West zonal coordinating office, has received series of complaints about the rejection of exported products by the oversee buyers due to the quality of the products.
She said the office also received inquiries from shippers with respect to quality specification and packaging.
Mrs. Uthman said few months ago, the council received no fewer than 100 containers rejected and returned to Nigeria from Mexico because of poor packaging and control.
She said if this trend continues Nigeria’s markets will no doubt crash and businesses crumble.
She said the main focus of the workshop, therefore, was to enlighten shippers particularly exporters of agricultural products on the imperative of packaging and quality control in international commodity transactions.
She said the main policy thrust of the Muhammadu Buhari administration is to give maximum attention to non-oil sector development. She said this could not be achieved if the poor quality control and packaging are not addressed.
Mrs. Uthman commended Mr. Buhari for deeming it appropriate to diversify away from oil. She said Nigeria would benefit from this if all hindrances are adequately being checkmated.
The director, Inland Transport Services, S. A. Adeagbo, represented by an assistant director, Murtala Akintola, explained that the new mandate of the Nigerian Shippers Council has placed on its shoulders the responsibility of providing a level playing field for every stakeholder to thrive in the system.
He said they were not unaware of the challenges faced by the shippers and other stakeholders in the Northern part of the country, specifically in the area of the cargo clearance and delivery for which the council will stop at nothing to mitigate the problems.
THE IPOB SHOW OF SHAME: A DARK CLOUD ON SOUTHEASTERN SKIES
IBD Foundation Awards Scholarships To Indigent Students
Ogun Election Tribunal: Abiodun Never Admitted Irregularities in His Election
FULL LIST OF COMMISSIONERS AND SPECIAL ADVISERS APPOINTED BY GOVERNOR BABAJIDE SANWO-OLU
OUR PPP INITIATIVE YIELDING RESULTS, SAY GOV. ABIODUN
Cover Of The Week
- Inaugural AGCO Agriculture Foundation Award presented for innovative solution to rural community unemployment in South Africa August 21, 2019
- Prominent business leaders join Dubai Chamber’s Global Business Forum (GBF) Mentorship Programme August 21, 2019
- Between extortion and the sanctity of Petroleum contracts in Nigeria, DRC and Senegal (By NJ Ayuk, CEO of Centurion Law Group) August 21, 2019
- Normalisation committee appointed for Egyptian Football Association (EFA) August 21, 2019
- Ethiopian authorities arrest journalist Mesganaw Getachew after he films outside court August 21, 2019
- Ambassador of Belarus Sergei Rachkov met with Egyptian businessmen August 21, 2019
- Press Release Regarding the Terrorist Attack in Burkina Faso August 21, 2019
- France-Ghana Cooperation: Education, Higher Education and French language August 20, 2019
- Joint European Union (EU)-US Statement on Recent Electoral Violence in Montserrado County August 20, 2019
- UNMISS force commander visits Gbudue area to assess security situation (by Phillip Mbugo) August 20, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized6 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime4 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others