Senate to invite Interior, Police Affairs Ministers over state of Police colleges
The Senate on Tuesday resolved to invite the Ministers of Police Affairs, Muhammadu Maigari Dingyadi and Interior Minister, Rauf Aregbesola, over the deteriorating conditions of police colleges across the country.
The resolution was reached after the consideration of a motion on the floor during plenary that was sponsored by Senator Barinada Mpigi (PDP, Rivers South East) and nine others.
The Senate also urged the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, to as a matter of urgent national security intervene in the deteriorating condition of the Police College in Tai Local Government Area of Rivers State.
It also urged the Police Service Commission to take adequate measures and inventory of police colleges in the nation to ensure that the standard meets acceptable global limits for efficient policing.
In his motion, Senator Mpigi while highlighting the role of the police in the provision of security, noted that the establishment of police colleges was for the purpose of training effective police officers for the prevention and detection of crimes.
He said, “The Police College, existing in Tai local government area of Rivers State, which serves for the training of police officers across the nation, has been virtually abandoned and at the brink of collapse. Poor staffing management and other facilities make the college unfit for habitation.”
The lawmaker warned that the poor state had made the college to become a dilapidated facility that lowers the morale of trainees.
Cover Of The Week
- The First round of Working Group Meeting of the Japan Nigeria Business Facilitation Council (JNBFC) held in Lagos February 28, 2020
- “Migration is Key to the Development of the Region,” The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Director General Emphasizes During First Visit to the Sahel and Senegal February 28, 2020
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) welcomes €17 million contribution from Germany to combat the impact of the Desert Locust upsurge in East Africa February 28, 2020
- Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo pays state visit to Switzerland February 28, 2020
- EG LNG Celebrates the Loading of its 700th Cargo February 28, 2020
- United States to Provide $30.4 Million to Support Democratic Elections in Ethiopia February 28, 2020
- Dry replaces injured Visser at HSBC Los Angeles Sevens February 28, 2020
- Guinness PRO14 pressure continues to rise for South Africa (SA) teams February 28, 2020
- Orange and SES team up on O3b mPOWER Communications System and open a New Era for Satellite Connectivity Innovation February 28, 2020
- Hackathon Workshop February 28, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK CELEBRATES D’TIGRESS ON BACK-TO-BACK AFROBASKET CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY
Sports7 months ago
ZENITH BANK HAILS D’TIGRESS ON QUARTERFINAL QUALIFICATION
Sports6 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship