By Elvis Omoregie, Benin
In a bid to lift millions out of poverty, a Non-governmental Microfinance institution, Standard Life Organisation (SLO) has endowed more than 300 thousand underprivileged persons with a substantial amount of about N3 billion naira.
Oyegue Osazee, Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer of SLO said that the percentage of beneficiaries from the financial intervention program is higher in women due to their ingenious capabilities in dealing with difficult situations.
He made this known on Thursday in Benin city to mark the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, adding that in the past nine months the organisation has disbursed over N3 billion into small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs), agricultural value to boost productivity and to increase income level.
According to him, the organisation has over 70 branches nationwide and “more than 300, 000 people have been lifted out of poverty with women accounting for 96% as at today. In the South–South geopolitical zone of Nigeria alone, more than 150, 000 people have been lifted out of poverty through our financial intervention programme to the tune of over N1,600,000,000 which saw a dramatic turn around in their petty trade, farming and fishing activities.
In South–East , 120,000 people have equally benefited from our financial intervention activities to the tune N1,100,000,000 while the South-West has more than 30,000 women accounting for over N400,000,000 disbursement.
“In Edo State specifically, over 40,000 women who are involved in petty trade and small scale agriculture in the three senatorial districts; 22,000 in Edo South, 11,000 in Edo Central and 7,000 in Edo North have benefitted from the Standard Life scheme”, he said
He said that the organisation has so far offered free medical outreach ranging from medical testing, treatment as well as referrals to over 53, 000 women.
Osazee who added that they have provided educational scholarships to children, and skill training sessions for women to be self sufficient however, solicited for sponsorships from well-meaning individuals, government agencies and donors so as to establish a modern skill acquisition center for training.
Every October 17, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed worldwide to promote people’s awareness of the need to eradicate poverty.
ABIODUN CONGRATULATES BELLO, LYON
Pastor Ize-Iyamu Mocks Edo PDP
The Last Dance of Akinlade/APM Legal Gambit: Time Will Tell
HOW TO STOP FUTURE OTA TOLL GATE DISASTERS – GOV ABIODUN
Delta Muslim Community Visits Labour Minister, Festus Kayamo At Home
Cover Of The Week
- Young people take over offices of UNICEF and Uganda Human Rights Commission as they celebrate World Children’s Day November 18, 2019
- The European Union (EU) Ambassador visits Seychelles for the second time in one month: A second visit focused on Maritime Security and Climate Change November 18, 2019
- UNAMID Joint Special Representative to hold press conference in Khartoum November 18, 2019
- Children’s rights progress in the Middle East and North Africa despite lasting inequality and conflict November 18, 2019
- $1 Million Awarded to African Entrepreneurs in Grand Finale of the Jack Ma Foundation Africa Netpreneur Prize Initiative November 17, 2019
- Ethiopia celebrated at World Travel Market November 15, 2019
- Democratic Republic of Congo and IMF Mission Reach an Agreement ad-referendum on Financial Assistance Under the Rapid Credit Facility and a Staff-Monitored Program November 15, 2019
- Foreign Minister Shahid pays a courtesy call on the Prime Minister of Morocco November 15, 2019
- Undersecretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs for International Affairs meets in Washington with Deputy National Security Advisor for MENA at WHNSC November 15, 2019
- Emergency Response Project for Displaced Communities in Niger Concludes Amid Deteriorating Security Situation November 15, 2019
Business7 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics6 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today