Henceforth any vehicles used for illegal mining at the First Industrial Park at Osile-Sofolu village, along Lagos-Ibadan expressway in Obafemi/Owode Local Government in Ogun State will be impounded and their owners prosecuted.
This warning was contained in a statement issued in Abeokuta on Wednesday by Mr. Kunle Somorin, the Chief Press Secretary to the State Governor.
Somorin quoted Mr Tokunbo Talabi, the Secretary to the State Government as saying, “It is intolerable that some people will turn that Industrial Park to an illegal excavation site as opposed to against the original intention of the State Government to build a park to promote economic development of the State.
“The park which was acquired and allotted in 2011 at the twilight of the Otunba Gbenga Daniel administration to accommodate the cluster of industries in the fast growing industrial estate.
“Now activities of illegal miners foretell grave peril to the inhabitants of the immediate environment as a direct consequence of their activities.”
The Statement notes that shortly before the commencement of the 2019 General Elections, and during a recent routine inspection, it was discovered that massive mining had resumed at the Industrial Park. “Following this discovery,” Mr Talabi said, “a stop work order has been issued and sign post erected warning that illegal mining was prohibited in that axis.
“We have given them enough notice. Now enforcement takes immediate effect. We are deploying armed security policemen at the Government acquired property closed-up enforcement surveillance. There is no debate – anyone no matter how lowly or highly placed who contravenes this embargo on all forms of mining will be guilty of not only trespass on Government land but for environmental offences,” the statement added.
He said the State Government had sensitised the people and as “a serious Government concerned about our environment, we detest illegal mining which could in the long run lead to ecological disasters. We will not allow that to happen. We will clamp down on these illegal miners in the interest of protecting the property from further degradation and Government would not hesitate to fine and punish anyone caught according to the extant laws of the state.”
The SSG said it was not proper to mine on a low land area, especially one which was earmarked for industrial development.
“The Government would not fold its arms and allow the menace to continue because illegal mining in the area has made the Park suitable for the purpose it was earmarked for when government procures sand, laterite from other areas to fill up the ground at a great cost,” the Statement surmised.
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor
Rainoil Lauds Hymnodia, Celebrates Season 1 Finalists in Grand Style
OBASEKI AND THE POLITICAL CHESS GAME IN EDO STATE
SOUTHWEST GOVERNORS MEET, SEEK SOLUTION TO SECURITY CHALLENGES
Imo leaders reject traditional ruler
“No matter how much we make my share is N8,000 since I joined the gang”-suspect Confesses
Cover Of The Week
- Minister Shahid sends Revolution Day greetings to Egypt July 23, 2019
- 30 Chadian Journalists Trained This Month, Topping 600 Trainees in West and Central Africa Since 2018 July 23, 2019
- Joint Statement: International Organization for Migration (IOM) Director General António Vitorino and UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi Welcome Consensus on Need for Action on Libya, Mediterranean July 23, 2019
- Amnesty International to hold its highest decision-making meeting in Johannesburg July 23, 2019
- FORBES WOMAN AFRICA Announces First Regional Forum in Rwanda July 23, 2019
- Merck Foundation launches first ‘Merck Foundation Health Media Training’ and Media and Fashion Awards in partnership with the First Lady of Malawi to break infertility stigma in the country July 23, 2019
- First Reception Centre for Victims of Trafficking Opens in Niger July 23, 2019
- UN peacekeeping in Mali boosted with addition of 250 UK troops July 23, 2019
- IOM Launches Quality Control Centre in Nairobi July 23, 2019
- Boko Haram conflict causing misery to millions 10 years on July 23, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized5 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business3 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime3 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others