Henceforth any vehicles used for illegal mining at the First Industrial Park at Osile-Sofolu village, along Lagos-Ibadan expressway in Obafemi/Owode Local Government in Ogun State will be impounded and their owners prosecuted.
This warning was contained in a statement issued in Abeokuta on Wednesday by Mr. Kunle Somorin, the Chief Press Secretary to the State Governor.
Somorin quoted Mr Tokunbo Talabi, the Secretary to the State Government as saying, “It is intolerable that some people will turn that Industrial Park to an illegal excavation site as opposed to against the original intention of the State Government to build a park to promote economic development of the State.
“The park which was acquired and allotted in 2011 at the twilight of the Otunba Gbenga Daniel administration to accommodate the cluster of industries in the fast growing industrial estate.
“Now activities of illegal miners foretell grave peril to the inhabitants of the immediate environment as a direct consequence of their activities.”
The Statement notes that shortly before the commencement of the 2019 General Elections, and during a recent routine inspection, it was discovered that massive mining had resumed at the Industrial Park. “Following this discovery,” Mr Talabi said, “a stop work order has been issued and sign post erected warning that illegal mining was prohibited in that axis.
“We have given them enough notice. Now enforcement takes immediate effect. We are deploying armed security policemen at the Government acquired property closed-up enforcement surveillance. There is no debate – anyone no matter how lowly or highly placed who contravenes this embargo on all forms of mining will be guilty of not only trespass on Government land but for environmental offences,” the statement added.
He said the State Government had sensitised the people and as “a serious Government concerned about our environment, we detest illegal mining which could in the long run lead to ecological disasters. We will not allow that to happen. We will clamp down on these illegal miners in the interest of protecting the property from further degradation and Government would not hesitate to fine and punish anyone caught according to the extant laws of the state.”
The SSG said it was not proper to mine on a low land area, especially one which was earmarked for industrial development.
“The Government would not fold its arms and allow the menace to continue because illegal mining in the area has made the Park suitable for the purpose it was earmarked for when government procures sand, laterite from other areas to fill up the ground at a great cost,” the Statement surmised.
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor
GOD’S OWN POWER AND GLORY MINISTRIES HOLDS REVIVAL
Mouka Ups Game for Sustainable Market Control, Earns NSP’s Endorsement
CLMI has the capacity to produce 3million jobs annually ,….stakeholders
FIRSTBANK PARTNERS WITH CFA SOCIETY NIGERIA TO HOST 2019 ETHICS CHALLENGE COMPETITION
Journalist Recounts Ordeal in the Hands of Lagos Task Force
Cover Of The Week
- Ethiopia celebrated at World Travel Market November 15, 2019
- Democratic Republic of Congo and IMF Mission Reach an Agreement ad-referendum on Financial Assistance Under the Rapid Credit Facility and a Staff-Monitored Program November 15, 2019
- Foreign Minister Shahid pays a courtesy call on the Prime Minister of Morocco November 15, 2019
- Undersecretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs for International Affairs meets in Washington with Deputy National Security Advisor for MENA at WHNSC November 15, 2019
- Emergency Response Project for Displaced Communities in Niger Concludes Amid Deteriorating Security Situation November 15, 2019
- Visit of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission to WHO November 15, 2019
- Minister Shahid meets with the Minister of Endowment and Islamic Affairs of Morocco November 15, 2019
- Nigeria Immigration Service, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Launch Border Management Information System at Largest Airport to Date November 15, 2019
- German Government support for the development of Namibia’s parks: Inauguration ceremony of Tsau Khaeb (Sperrgebiet) National Park infrastructure, Kharas Region November 15, 2019
- Venture Capital for Africa (VC4A) Launches First Dedicated Online Training Program for Africa’s Business Angels: ‘Mentor-Driven Capital’ November 15, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today