Uche Jombo, a Nollywood filmmaker, says she has been a victim of sexual assault during her early days in the Nigerian movie industry.
The 39-year-old actress made this disclosure in an interview with HipTV while speaking on the widespread allegations of sexual assault on upcoming actresses.
“I’ve been in that kind of situation twice during my starting days,” she said.
“I rehearsed for almost two weeks only to come next and find that someone else was reading my role because I declined the request to ‘see me’ (for sex).
“I wept seriously, I was hurt but four to five years later, I made it big.”
Explaining how she survived and maintained her stance at the time, Jombo said: “It is personal integrity. In my days, we move on when we’re denied opportunities for refusing to give in to sexual demands.
“Sometimes, it’s your individual strength, drive and process that matters. What takes some six months to accomplish might take others six years.
“Are you ready to wait for your time or you just want a shortcut that leads to no long-lasting opportunity? If you want the shortcut, chances are that there are people willing to give it.”
Jombo said people who engage in such acts should be called out explaining that this would force Nollywood recruiters and opportunity givers who indulge in such acts to “be humans again”.
Sexual harassment is a popular topic in Nollywood with Kanayo O. Kanayo, an actor in the industry, saying actresses call him every day to say they are being pressured to sleep with producers.
Cover Of The Week
- NBA commissioner Adam Silver's statement on passing of Kobe Bryant January 27, 2020
- Blitzboks own up to under-par performances in New Zealand (NZ) January 26, 2020
- Blitzboks in troubled waters in Hamilton January 25, 2020
- Nigeria: European Union (EU), UN concerned by increasing attacks against aid workers January 24, 2020
- Hand-Made Satellite!? January 24, 2020
- Secretary-General appoints Mr. Raouf Mazou of the Republic of the Congo as Assistant High Commissioner for Operations, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees January 24, 2020
- Mainstreaming Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Education sector January 24, 2020
- Return to Care Campaign (RTC) January 24, 2020
- Statement on behalf of independent World Rugby Chairman Sir Bill Beaumont January 24, 2020
- Preparations underway for Africa Climate Week 2020 in Kampala January 24, 2020
Sports6 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria