Connect with us

society

We Won’t Tolerate Lawlessness, Violation Of Building Codes In Ogun-Abiodun

Published

on

We Won’t Tolerate Lawlessness, Violation Of Building Codes In Ogun-Abiodun

 

 

 

Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, on Monday, warned that the state government will not tolerate lawlessness and the violation of the state’s building codes.

 

 

 

 

The governor also denied any political motives in the partial demolition of DATKEM Plaza, Ijebu-Ode.

 

 

 

 

Prince Abiodun formally reacted to the demolition and the attendant accusation after inspecting the 8-kilometre Mowe-Ofada Road, in Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of the state.

 

 

 

 

According to the governor, the partial demolition exercise carried out by the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development was in line with the laws of the state.

 

 

 

 

 

He denied accusations in some quarters that the exercise was political, adding that necessary steps were taken by government officials when contraventions were observed in the course of constructing the edifice.

 

 

 

 

The governor noted that in Ogun State, and Nigeria, nobody is above the law. The law that governs ordinary citizens, according to him, also applies to the VIPs.

 

 

 

 

He said: “But for the fact you have ambushed me, I was not prepared to formally address that subject matter. And the reasons are very simple, we are a responsible government. We are responsible to our citizens. We are a law-abiding administration. I’m sure that everyone would testify to the fact that since I assumed office in 2019, I have ensured equity, fairness and upheld the rule of law. I have not in any way attempted to be vindictive or in any form or manner appear like someone who is trying to witch-hunt anyone.

 

 

 

 

“Having said that, because these are some of the insinuations I have read on social media and nothing could be farther from the truth. You all have seen the position of the Ministry of Physical Planning, which is the ministry that is entrusted with ensuring that people adhere to our different building codes. Because if we don’t respect building codes, if we don’t abide by building laws, it means that we are nothing but a chaotic society.

 

 

 

 

 

“These are the people charged with ensuring that our cities and towns are well laid out, well planned and the buildings that are constructed are safe to live in. We are all living witnesses to what has happened in the state and Lagos State when buildings have collapsed. And proactively, our government and across the country have brought some buildings down for violations of different building regulations.

 

 

 

 

 

“Only a few weeks ago, the new minister of the FCT said any person who builds in FCT without approval no matter how highly placed they are, be it a minister or anybody, the building will come down. And recalled sometime last year, when a building collapsed on Gerald in Lagos, a building that belonged to someone that I know personally, I held a press conference and said we would not allow for this to happen in Ogun State. You build without approval, you build beyond your approval, if you don’t build in line with our regulations, that building will come down.

“Now, let’s go to this DATKEM. First I can assure you that our physical planning team do not have the responsibility of unmasking who the owner of a company is. It is beyond their mandate. As far as they know, a company called DATKEM had applied for approval to erect a five-story building. That approval was filed in 2009, way beyond our administration. But sometime in 2022, a contravention notice was sent to the owners of DATKEM.

 

 

 

 

“In Ogun State and in Nigeria, we don’t have a set of laws for the common man and the VIP. That is not the way it works. There is one law for everybody. Nobody is above the law. And the law is not the respecter of VIPs or VIPPs. So, they sent the contravention notice to DATKEM, regardless of who the owner of DATKEM was, which was not their priority. After they sent that contravention notice in May 2022, they sent a stop order notice to DATKEM, saying you are in contravention, stop working on this project until you come and correct these contraventions. They followed that stop order with another stop order. They sent a violation order. They sealed the premises. “The owners of DATKEM in their minds must have felt they were above the law. It smirks of impunity if the Ministry of Physical Planning sends you a contravention order, sends you a seal order and you continue with the construction in violation of the safety of all of us in Ogun State.

 

 

 

“They sent you a demolition order, you still did not respond. You begin to sneak into the building at night, you begin to work there. You begin to attempt to grease palms so that they can overlook your contraventions. But, of course, a day of reckoning will always come.”

 

 

 

 

The governor said properties are demolished every day in the state without any noise being made, adding that he had instructed that if his property violates state laws, it should be brought down.

 

 

 

 

Addressing the accusation of vindictiveness, the governor recalled his intervention in another property belong to the alleged owner of DATKEM.

 

 

 

He said: “Let me take you down memory lane. The purported owner of this property, when I assumed office in 2019, had a property in Abeokuta. It was meant to be a hotel. My predecessor had sealed that property for eight years. He had issued a stop order. He was going to demolish that building, but for my intervention. I pleaded with him. That building remained under lock and key until I resumed office. The first day I was sworn in was the very day the owner moved into that property for the first time in eight years. And today, the property is called Conference Hotel in Abeokuta.

 

 

 

 

“How do you now begin to accuse the same me that facilitated the completion of that project despite different court actions that were brought then, despite different charges by the EFCC that were hanging around the project. I actually commissioned that project alongside the former vice president, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo. You are now trying to use media, trying to attract unnecessary sympathy, playing the underdog that I, Dapo Abiodun, demolished a property that first I didn’t know it was yours; your name is not on that property. You never came forward to say this property is yours.

 

 

 

 

“You expect that someone, who is a serving senator, a former governor of this state, would show a level of more responsibility. I have said it that I, Dapo Abiodun, if I have a building that violates the building code, bring it down.

 

 

 

“And by this, I am sending a strong warning to all of us across the state. There are many of you who have buildings without approvals. There are many of you who don’t even have C of O. If you have built without approvals, the long arm of the law will soon be catching up with you. We will not tolerate lawlessness in this state. We will not be defined by lawlessness and half hazard development when you just build anyhow.”

We Won’t Tolerate Lawlessness, Violation Of Building Codes In Ogun-Abiodun

society

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

Published

on

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

 

 

In a major boost to the fight against banditry and insecurity in Zamfara State and the North-West Zone, Zamfara State Governor, His Excellency, Dr Dauda Lawal, on Wednesday commissioned 25 new Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and sets of surveillance drones for the military and other security agencies operating in the state.

 

The event, which took place in Gusau, was part of the state government’s ongoing effort to provide structured logistical support to frontline security forces and combat insurgency, banditry, and protect lives and properties. Speaking at the commissioning and handover, Governor Lawal emphasised that the new assets are intended to enhance troop protection during high-risk deployments and improve rapid response capabilities in remote communities, ensuring tactical battle and overhead surveillance for victory.

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

“We have provided over 600 specialised motorcycles, 150 Hilux vehicles, and 20 Buffalo vehicles to our security forces. These 25 highly sophisticated APCs being commissioned today are therefore part of a broader reform to improve response to security threats. The APC’s significantly improves troop protection during deployments into high-risk areas. They reduce vulnerability during patrols, support convoy security along major routes, and strengthen rapid response capability when distress calls arise from remote communities.” the Governor stated.

 

Governor Lawal explained that the security challenges of recent years had disrupted farming, limited trade, and undermined public confidence across the state. He noted that his administration’s “Rescue Mission” agenda has focused on moving from fragmented responses to structured reforms, including the establishment of a Zamfara State Security Trust Fund and the operationalisation of Community Protection Guards to improve grassroots intelligence.

 

The Governor specifically highlighted the importance of integrating modern technology into security operations. He noted that the newly acquired drones would expand aerial surveillance, improve situational awareness, and support better coordination between command centres and troops in the field.

 

“Real-time information strengthens decision-making and reduces operational blind spots,” he added.

 

Governor Lawal however acknowledged the critical role of the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, noting that recent federal budgets have allocated over three trillion naira to defence, a commitment he said strengthens subnational stabilisation efforts.

 

He urged the military commanders and personnel receiving the equipment to ensure disciplined maintenance and intelligence-guided deployment. “Enhancing your safety enhances the safety of our communities,” he told the troops.

 

Governor Lawal also told the people of Zamfara that; his administration remains resolute in restoring enduring security and peace across every Local Government Area. “We will sustain preventive measures, strengthen patrol architecture in rural corridors, deepen inter-state intelligence collaboration across the North-West, and maintain fiscal prudence in security expenditure. Stabilisation will continue through structured planning, lawful enforcement, and institutional reform.”

 

The Governor also linked the security investment to economic recovery, stressing that stability in rural areas is essential for agricultural productivity, market activity, and food security.

 

The event was attended by the Honourable Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (Rtd.), who formally commissioned the assets for operational service. Governor Lawal reaffirmed his administration’s resolve to sustain preventive measures and inter-state security collaboration until lasting peace is restored across all Local Government Areas in Zamfara.

Continue Reading

society

Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria

Published

on

Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria

 

A leading governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State, Ambassador Olufemi Ajadi Oguntoyinbo, has extended warm felicitations to Muslims and Christians on the simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent.

Ramadan, the Islamic holy month marked by 30 days of fasting and spiritual devotion, and Lent, the 40-day Christian season of fasting and reflection, began on the same day — a development Ajadi described as symbolic and spiritually significant.

In a statement personally signed by him on Wednesday, Ajadi congratulated adherents of both faiths and called for sustained religious tolerance, unity, and peaceful coexistence across the state and the country at large.

He described the coincidence in the commencement dates as a reminder of shared values between Islam and Christianity.

“The simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent is a divine reminder that we all worship the same Almighty God. It is a call for unity, love, and mutual understanding among us,” he stated.

Ajadi urged Muslims and Christians to use the sacred periods of fasting and spiritual purification to pray fervently for Nigeria, especially in view of the nation’s economic and security challenges.

“Our country is facing significant hardship. The economic difficulties and prevailing insecurity require sincere prayers. This season of spiritual purification offers us a unique opportunity to seek God’s intervention for our nation,” he said.

He further emphasized that both Islam and Christianity preach peace, tolerance, and respect for constituted authority, urging citizens to embody these teachings in their daily lives.

“Let us live peacefully, tolerate one another, and continue to pray for those in leadership. Our faiths teach us to respect and uphold our leaders in prayer,” Ajadi added.

The PDP chieftain concluded by wishing Muslims a spiritually fulfilling Ramadan and Christians a reflective and enriching Lenten season, encouraging both communities to embrace love, sacrifice, and harmonious living throughout the sacred periods.

Continue Reading

society

Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation

Published

on

Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation

By George Omagbemi Sylvester | Published by SaharaWeeklyNG

“At State House Tafsir in Abuja, President urges unity, tolerance, and prayers for stability as he reaffirms commitment to tackling Nigeria’s economic and security challenges.”

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians for forgiveness over any perceived wrongdoing, urging citizens to embrace reconciliation and unity during the holy month of Ramadan.

Speaking during a Ramadan Tafsir held at the State House in Abuja, the President said, “If I have sinned against you, forgive me as Nigerians,” stressing the importance of forgiveness, tolerance, and national cohesion.

Tinubu noted that Ramadan represents a period of spiritual reflection, self-discipline, and compassion, calling on Nigerians to use the season to promote peace and mutual understanding across religious and ethnic divides.

The President also encouraged citizens to pray for the nation’s stability and progress, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to addressing economic and security challenges facing the country.

The Ramadan Tafsir, an annual religious gathering attended by government officials, Islamic scholars, and dignitaries, forms part of activities marking the fasting period observed by Muslims worldwide.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending