By ifeoma ikem
The safety of journalists and better working condition was center of discourse during the weekend as stakeholders coveryed in Lagos to mark this year world day of safety of journalists.
The event was held at the Lagos chamber of commerce industry exhibition center,Alausa ikeja was organised by Dr Chinyere Amaechi chief executive officer safety and security watch.
Speaking at the event Dr Suraj Olunfesi Adekunle UNESCO national coordinator on media and information literacy Nigeria chapter and also senior lecturer department of mass communication University of Lagos who delivered the keynote lecture titled “safety and security implications of welfare of journalists in Nigeria:The safety professionals perception,”.
The senior media lecturer said the issue of welfare for journalists is very important.
He call on federal government to establish “journalism welfare scheme ” scheme that will take care of families of any journalists that die in course of performing his or her duty.
He noted that journalists are very important in the society hence any collapsed of the media will definitely lead to collapsed of the government running the affair of the country.
In his words”government should declare emergency on press issues”.
Also speaking at the event Mr Wole Ojetokun HSE senior manager Chi limited said journalists should be taken care of the government and their employers. He noted that there is the need to improve on their welfare and a better working condition.
According to him urgent step should also be taken to ensure that all journalists get adequate insurance.
The convener, Dr Chinyere Amaechi in an interview, with journalists said the event was put together to honour journalists
who lost their lives while in active service to their father land.
She noted that many journalists has been killed and no investigation were conducted in such cases.
According to her the federal government should endure adequate investigation in case of journalists who were murdered in line of duty.
Hence the event was an opportunity for stakeholders and government to sit down and look into the plight of journalists in the country.
She added, that the welfare of media practitioners especially practising journalists should be taking seriously.
Lagos State Task Force Assault and Teargas Journalist
Fly better on Emirates and discover dazzling Dubai
Friends, Political Associates of Akeredolu’s Cabinet Members Appointed As Sen. Ajayi Borofice’s Aides
WIMBIZ recorded more than 2,000 attendees for the two-day conference
THE HUMILIATION OF THE VILLA FIEND
Cover Of The Week
- Ecobank signs up to The United Nations Environment Programme’s Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Principles for Responsible Banking November 13, 2019
- U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and African Development Bank partner to Support Development in Africa November 13, 2019
- WHO prequalifies Ebola vaccine, paving the way for its use in high-risk countries November 13, 2019
- U.S. provides Financing to Tetra4 to develop Energy Infrastructure in South Africa November 13, 2019
- Continental championship Rugby Africa Cup 2020 season starts with new spectator experience November 13, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) Ethiopia Rolls Out Community-Based Planning for Displacement Affected Communities in Somali Region November 12, 2019
- In the Face of Uncertainty, Residents of Aweil Remain Hopeful of Unity November 12, 2019
- Water Systems Completed in Uganda Refugee Settlements with European Union (EU), United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) Support November 12, 2019
- USA Supports Ghana to Advance and Strengthen Community-level Health Service Delivery November 12, 2019
- Africa Investment Forum: Family businesses - an underestimated economic driving force November 12, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today