Business
NIA Chiefs disown suspended DG over N15Billion found in Ikoyi Mansion
The Deputy Director General in charge of Administration at the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), who is now the acting Director General, Ambassador Arab Yadam and the Deputy Director General (Operations), Ambassador Emmanuel Okafor, have told the Yemi Osinbajo investigative panel that they were not privy to the about N15 billion cash that was kept at the Osborne Towers in Ikoyi, Lagos.
The Director-General of NIA, Ambassador Ayodele Oke, was suspended over the discovery of $43.3 million, N23.3 million and £27,800 cash in a luxury apartment at Osborne Towers in Ikoyi, Lagos, which he claimed belongs to the agency.
A source close to the Osinbajo investigative panel told New Telegraph yesterday that the two top intelligence chiefs confessed to the panel that Oke ran a one-man show at the agency.
According to the source, who does not want to be named, Yadam and Okafor told the panel last week Thursday that Oke “should carry his own cross for not carrying the top echelon of the agency along even in the day-to-day running of NIA.”
The duo also accused Oke of arbitrariness and failure to make full disclosure to President Muhammadu Buhari and the National Security Adviser (NSA), Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (rtd), about the nature of the covert operations that the agency was supposed to undertake with the huge cash that was discovered at Osborne Towers.
The suspended NIA boss had told the panel that Monguno knew about the recovered fund. According to Oke, he wrote a memo to the NSA on the custody of the $43.3 million and that the funds were for covert operations.
However, the source said that it was when the Presidential Committee on Purchase of Arms, which Monguno is a member, stumbled on irregular payments by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to NIA that the NSA confronted Oke.
“It was at that point that the DG NIA told Major General Monguno that the monies were released to the agency for covert operations by the Goodluck Jonathan administration, but he didn’t disclose further,” the source pointed out.
According to him, “The lack of full disclosure necessitated the NSA to write a memo to the president about the huge cash that was released to the agency by Jonathan on March 24, 2016.
“In the memo, Monguno clearly stated that although the objectives of celebrating NIA’s 30th anniversary and executing some covert operations seem noble, there is the possibility of the funds being abused by the agency’s leadership,” the source added.
He further said that the suspended NIA chief erred by not disclosing fully the “source of the funds, where it is located and the appropriate expenditure in respect of the projects that NIA was doing either in Lagos or Abuja.”
Meanwhile, a presidency source, conversant with the operations of the panel, confirmed to our correspondent at the weekend that the suspended NIA DG will be nailed as he has not been able to convince the three ‘wise men’ that the recovered money from the Ikoyi apartment is part of funds approved by former President Jonathan for critical security infrastructure and covert operations in 2015.
Jonathan had, in March 2015, approved a total of $289 million for the NIA to deliver on infrastructurand other security projects.
According to the source, the presidential committee, set up by Buhari on the audit of Defence Equipment Procurement in the Armed Forces between 2007 and 2015, in the course of carrying out its assignment, also stumbled on the approval of the $289 million by former President Jonathan for the agency.
The panel, which was chaired by AVM J.O.N. Ode (rtd), is the same committee which uncovered the $15 billion arms fraud in the purchase of the military wares to tackle the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East. New Telegraph gathered that following the revelation by the AVM Ode’s committee on the $289 million, the present NSA, Monguno, constituted a separate committee to identify and establish whether all the listed projects by the suspended NIA boss were actually being executed.
A senior aide to the president, who pleaded anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, said the embattled NIA director general was only compelled to brief the NSA on the $289 million after the existence of the funds which was hitherto treated in secret, had been revealed by the AVM Ode’s committee. “Oke informed the NSA that the NIA was executing nine critical projects across the country.
He disclosed that as at January 2015, the agency had made payments to contractors amounting to $98.891 million, leaving a balance of $190.311 million out of the total funds released by the immediate past administration.
“The NIA director general also briefed the NSA that, of the balance left from the released funds, cash at hand was $89.298 million while $101.012 million was in a dedicated bank account.
“All these breakdown was possible when Ambassador Oke knew that the new panel set up by the NSA would beam its searchlight on the $289 million approved by former President Jonathan for the nine projects,” the presidential aide noted.
The source told our correspondent that what is worrisome is that when the separate panel set up by the NSA investigated the payments made by both the CBN and the agency to contractors from the $289 million, the figures captured for on-going and completed projects under the critical infrastructure and covert operations added up to the entire money. He stated that the $43.3 million found in the Ikoyi apartment was not part of Jonathan’s approval.
“Oke’s problem is that when the panel went round the country, they were not shown the Lagos apartment and the $43 million that has just been recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). His problem clearly is that of disclosure.
“The thinking in the security intelligence community is that these monies may have been campaign funds in the 2015 election,” he added.
Buhari had, on April 19, suspended the NIA DG alongside the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir David Lawal, and constituted a threeman committee headed by Osinbajo to investigate the allegations raised against the two senior officers.
The Osinbajo panel is expected to complete its assignment on Wednesday this week (14 days) as directed by Mr. President. All the principal actors, including the acting chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Magu; the CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele; Director General of the Bureau for Public Procurement (BPP); the embattled NIA DG, the suspended SGF and contractors handling different projects have since appeared before the panel.
Other members of the Presidential Investigative Committee are the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) and the NSA, Major General Monguno (rtd).
Business
Nigeria’s Inflation Drops to 15.10% as NBS Reports Deflationary Trend
Nigeria’s headline inflation rate declined to 15.10 per cent in January 2026, marking a significant drop from 27.61 per cent recorded in January 2025, according to the latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) report released by the National Bureau of Statistics.
The report also showed that month-on-month inflation recorded a deflationary trend of –2.88 per cent, representing a 3.42 percentage-point decrease compared to December 2025. Analysts say the development signals easing price pressures across key sectors of the economy.
Food inflation stood at 8.89 per cent year-on-year, down from 29.63 per cent in January 2025. On a month-on-month basis, food prices declined by 6.02 per cent, reflecting lower costs in several staple commodities.
The data suggests a sustained downward trajectory in inflation over the past 12 months, pointing to improving macroeconomic stability.
The administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has consistently attributed recent economic adjustments to ongoing fiscal and monetary reforms aimed at stabilising prices, boosting agricultural output, and strengthening domestic supply chains.
Economic analysts note that while the latest figures indicate progress, sustaining the downward trend will depend on continued policy discipline, exchange rate stability, and improvements in food production and distribution.
The January report provides one of the clearest indications yet that inflationary pressures, which surged in early 2025, may be moderating.
Bank
Alpha Morgan to Host 19th Economic Review Webinar
Alpha Morgan to Host 19th Economic Review Webinar
In an economy shaped by constant shifts, the edge often belongs to those with the right information.
On Wednesday, February 25, 2026, Alpha Morgan Bank will host the 19th edition of its Economic Review Webinar, a high-level thought leadership session designed to equip businesses, investors, and individuals with timely financial and economic insight.
The session, which will hold live on Zoom at 10:00am WAT and will feature economist Bismarck Rewane, who will examine the key signals influencing Nigeria’s economic direction in 2026, including policy trends, market movements, and global developments shaping the local landscape.
With a consistent track record of delivering clarity in uncertain times, the Alpha Morgan Economic Review continues to provide practical context for decision-making in a dynamic environment.
Registration for the 19th Alpha Morgan Economic Review is free and can be completed via https://bit.ly/registeramerseries19
It is a bi-monthly platform that is open to the public and is held virtually.
Visit www.alphamorganbank to know more.
Business
GTBank Launches Quick Airtime Loan at 2.95%
GTBank Launches Quick Airtime Loan at 2.95%
Guaranty Trust Bank Ltd (GTBank), the flagship banking franchise of GTCO Plc, Africa’s leading financial services group, today announced the launch of Quick Airtime Loan, an innovative digital solution that gives customers instant access to airtime when they run out of call credit and have limited funds in their bank accounts, ensuring customers can stay connected when it matters most.
In today’s always-on world, running out of airtime is more than a minor inconvenience. It can mean missed opportunities, disrupted plans, and lost connections, often at the very moment when funds are tight, and options are limited. Quick Airtime Loan was created to solve this problem, offering customers instant access to airtime on credit, directly from their bank. With Quick Airtime Loan, eligible GTBank customers can access from ₦100 and up to ₦10,000 by dialing *737*90#. Available across all major mobile networks in Nigeria, the service will soon expand to include data loans, further strengthening its proposition as a reliable on-demand platform.
For years, the airtime credit market has been dominated by Telcos, where charges for this service are at 15%. GTBank is now changing the narrative by offering a customer-centric, bank-led digital alternative priced at 2.95%. Built on transparency, convenience and affordability, Quick Airtime Loan has the potential to broaden access to airtime, deliver meaningful cost savings for millions of Nigerians, and redefine how financial services show up in everyday life, not just in banking moments.
Commenting on the product launch, Miriam Olusanya, Managing Director of Guaranty Trust Bank Ltd, said: “Quick Airtime Loan reflects GTBank’s continued focus on delivering digital solutions that are relevant, accessible, and built around real customer needs. The solution underscores the power of a connected financial ecosystem, combining GTBank’s digital reach and lending expertise with the capabilities of HabariPay to deliver a smooth, end-to-end experience. By leveraging unique strengths across the Group, we are able to accelerate innovation, strengthen execution, and deliver a more integrated customer experience across all our service channels.”
Importantly, Quick Airtime Loan highlights GTCO’s evolution as a fully diversified financial services group. Leveraging HabariPay’s Squad, the solution reinforces the Group’s ecosystem proposition by bringing together banking, payment technology, and digital channels to deliver intuitive, one-stop experiences for customers.
With this new product launch, Guaranty Trust Bank is extending its legacy of pioneering digital-first solutions that have redefined customer access to financial services across the industry, building on the proven strength of its widely adopted QuickCredit offering and the convenience of the Bank’s iconic *737# USSD Banking platform.
About Guaranty Trust Bank
Guaranty Trust Bank (GTBank) is the flagship banking franchise of GTCO Plc, a leading financial services group with a strong presence across Africa and the United Kingdom. The Bank is widely recognized for its leadership in digital banking, customer experience, and innovative financial solutions that deliver value to individuals, businesses, and communities.
About HabariPay
HabariPay is the payments fintech subsidiary of GTCO Plc, focused on enabling fast, secure, and accessible digital payments for individuals and businesses. By integrating payments and digital technology, HabariPay supports innovative services that make everyday financial interactions simpler and more seamless.
Enquiries:
GTCO
Group Corporate Communication
[email protected]
+234-1-2715227
www.gtcoplc.com
-
celebrity radar - gossips6 months agoWhy Babangida’s Hilltop Home Became Nigeria’s Political “Mecca”
-
society6 months agoPower is a Loan, Not a Possession: The Sacred Duty of Planting People
-
society5 months agoReligion: Africa’s Oldest Weapon of Enslavement and the Forgotten Truth
-
news6 months agoTHE APPOINTMENT OF WASIU AYINDE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AS AN AMBASSADOR SOUNDS EMBARRASSING




You must be logged in to post a comment Login