A former commissioner for women affairs in Delta State, Queen Betty Efekodha has raised an alarm over the plan to convert the Mariam Babaginda Women Development Center that was built during the tenure of former governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of the state to Appeal Court premises.
According to Efekodha, the building has been roofed and painted, while what remained is for it to be furnished.
I have been looking forward to the day it will be commissioned by Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of the state.
“This would have gone a long way in improving the lot of women all round as the edifice housed a very big hall plus smaller adjoining halls and different offices for meetings, trainings, seminars, hall of fame and skills acquisitions,” she said.
The former commissioner said in a statement she wrote on the issue that the centre also plays host to national and international women programs and events.
She added that the importance of the women center could not be over emphasized.
“More so, it was named after an illustrious daughter of Delta State, who made women to be seen and also heard through her Better Life Programme.
It is definitely a big plus to women development. I have deliberately brought it to this platform so that we women of Delta State can appeal to the governor to let our centre be.
“In as much as the Court of Appeal is necessary and I appreciate the Governor for it, robbing Peter to pay Paul is not the best.
I therefore appeal to my National President and State Chairman to please look into it. If possible, a delegation can see our Governor,” she said.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Libya: Lack of COVID-19 tests when boats return risks surge in cases, warns International Rescue Committee (IRC) July 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: Minister of Foreign Affairs receives new Country Representative, says, ‘Nigeria is behind WHO’ July 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Uganda: Denmark contributes US$1 million to cash relief for refugees in Kampala July 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 Daily Information Update (10th July 2020) July 10, 2020
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 10 July 2020, 5 pm EAT July 10, 2020
- Tribute: Prime Minister Amadou Gon Coulibaly (By Akinwumi A. Adesina, Président, African Development Bank) July 10, 2020
- Canon launches four new RF lenses – expanding the line-up’s capabilities to super-telephoto photography – plus two RF extenders July 10, 2020
- Meet the imagePROGRAF PRO-300 – a high-quality, professional A3+ photo printer with space-saving design July 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Sudan: UNMISS conducts door-to-door COVID-19 awareness campaign in Warrap State July 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Eswatini : Prime Minister Ambrose Mandvulo Dlamini has announced first batch of Government COVID-19 payment for laid-off workers July 10, 2020
news4 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
STOP PRESS! AJIMOBI IS NOT DEAD SAYS SPOKESMAN, BOLAJI TUNJI
Politics2 months ago
Lagos Speaker,Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa Clears The Air On Fraud Rumour
Education4 weeks ago
Methodist owned Wesley University owe staff up to 40 months Salaries